Sunday, October 25, 2009

Review: Patagonia Retro-X Fleece

So, I am not quite balling enough yet to be given items for review, my opinions about Patagonia's Retro-X Fleece are only because it is my new favorite piece of outer gear. I picked up the jacket for $85 bucks this past summer during their huge online sale. Patagonia can tend to be a little out of my price range, but they have regular sales and usually the quality of their stuff makes it worth the spend.

To begin with, the structure of the jacket is much more than regular fleece jackets. It is constructed with a moisture-wicking, brushed-mesh lining that increases its stability. When I first took it out of the box, I was surprised by its stiffness, but the nylon panels along the side make it easy to move in without compromising on protective layers of warmth. In addition, a windproof barrier in between the lining and the fleece is perfect for the biting New England winds that seem to whip through around now (and all season...). Also, I have to give props to Patagonia for also thinking green. Their polyester pile is 78% recycled.

When I bought my coat, it only came in the "irregular" color of mushroom. Since I don't tend to trust myself with light colored clothing, I was hesitant at first. However, now I love it! The light brown is a perfect fall color and it pairs well with just about anything. I also haven't worn it as a layer yet and am worried it might be too bulky to put under my Oakley bomber coat (review to come cause I absolutely love it!).

You can check out more stats on Patagonia's Retro-X fleece here.

1 comment:

  1. I layer my retro-X all the time and it is fantastic. Of course it depends on the type of coat you're putting it under, but under a heavy shell it is perfection in bitter cold. I've put it under a Patagonia micropuff jacket too; that was a bit bulky but that is what happens when you wear two insulating layers... I'm willing to compromise some mobility for warmth when the temp is -20F.

    ReplyDelete